Thursday, May 23, 2013

An Exercise

Here's an exercise for you to try. If you haven't been keeping a tip log start one. It's pretty simple, on a separate piece of paper in your order pad, record the sale and the tip from every table you have. You might also take a few notes like what section you had and what night of the week it was.

When I was delivering pizzas I actually made more money on the nights that I kept a log. I know - it makes no sense. I don't really care if it makes sense. My goal is to maximize my profits.

By keeping this information you might find out some surprising things. You may turn more tables in smaller sections. You may do better in bigger sections. There was a three table section that seemed to easily beat our some four table sections just because it was so much easier to get to them. You want to try and get assigned to the best section for you. To do that you'll need to know what that is.

This will also give you a good idea about what you can make in night in a section.

Here's the exercise

Once you figure this out...Set yourself a target. If you usually make $95 on a Tuesday in section 31, try and make $105. It's only ten bucks more --surely it's doable and ten bucks extra for a shift you were working anyway is like free money.

Magically when I monitor my progress and set the goal (if it is realistic) most of the time I make it. Maybe I hustle just a little bit more and get one more table that night or sell a few more desserts. Having a target makes it easier to keep going just a little bit more.

Try it and let us know if it works for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment