Monday, March 18, 2013

Is it possible to be a Millionaire waiter?

I worked as waitstaff in a pretty big restaurant for a few years. The thing that strikes me years later is just how much money slipped through my fingers. The old phrase, "If I only knew then what I know now." rings true. So the question arises, can you become a millionaire while waiting tables? I think you probably can. I started as a lousy waiter (server is the current lingo.) I could make enough money to eat and buy gas to get to work. After a few months I learned a few truths about serving. Once I understood these thing I started making pretty great cash. $400 or $500 dollars a week after taxes in the early 1990s was pretty great money. I actually took a pay cut when I got my first "real job" (As if waiting tables isn't a real job.)

I'd like to start a discussion on:

a) Best practices for making money waiting tables. (How can I maximize my income)

b) Best practices for building wealth while waiting tables. (Can I get rich?)

c) Why we don't use the best practices.

d) Next steps....Do I want to keep waiting tables? Do I want to do something else?

I'll try and flesh some of these out in future posts. Especially if there is any interest or comments that are from people who are doing this now.

No comments:

Post a Comment